(TheFreedomFlag.com)- President Donald Trump said on Saturday that he is considering restoring some funds intended for the World Health Organization, though only a small portion of it. He confirmed reports that his administration was looking into giving the group some support while it continues the investigation into whether the United Nations agency helped China hide details relating to the severity of the initial outbreak.
Retweeting news anchor Lou Dobbs, Trump said, “Lou, this is just one of numerous concepts being considered under which we would pay 10% of what we have been paying over many years, matching much lower China payments.”
Lou, this is just one of numerous concepts being considered under which we would pay 10% of what we have been paying over many years, matching much lower China payments. Have not made final decision. All funds are frozen. Thanks! https://t.co/xQUzHy4NDa
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) May 16, 2020
“Have not made final decision. All funds are frozen. Thanks!” he added.
It comes after Tucker Carlson reported on Friday on a draft letter that was leaked, which says the United States will “continue to partner and work with the World Health Organization and agree to pay up to what China pays in assessed contribution.”
It’s a markedly different attitude to just a few weeks ago when President Trump withdrew funding in its entirety, and represents an olive branch from the federal government. It also shows that President Trump is willing to work with global organizations to fight the virus, but won’t give vast sums of money if they display bias to communists. Which is what happened in this situation.
On April 14, President Trump put a hold on funding the organization citing evidence that they had acted in China’s interests, and against the interests of the rest of the world. In January, the WHO claimed that its preliminary investigations found “no clear evidence” that the virus could be transmitted between humans, and told world governments that keeping borders open wasn’t dangerous.
Preliminary investigations conducted by the Chinese authorities have found no clear evidence of human-to-human transmission of the novel #coronavirus (2019-nCoV) identified in #Wuhan, #China🇨🇳. pic.twitter.com/Fnl5P877VG
— World Health Organization (WHO) (@WHO) January 14, 2020
Last year, American taxpayers gave $400 million to the WHO, while China only gave $86 million. For an organization with a clear bias towards China, that doesn’t make much sense. In April, China announced that they would give an additional $30 million to make up for Trump’s cuts.